Google is venturing into PC gaming with Google Play Games, and you’ll be able to enjoy Clash Royale on PC as well.pc google play
Clash Royale, like all other games from Supercell until now, have only targeted mobile devices. You needed either Android or iOS to play.
Now that Google is venturing into PC gaming with Google Play Games, you'll be able to enjoy Clash Royale on PC as well!
Table of Contents
- Potential advantages and use cases
- Google Play Games vs emulators
- System requirements to use Google Play Games
- Regional rollout
- How to download Google Play Games for PC
Potential advantages and use cases
The general selling points of Google Play Games are:
- A better immersive experience with larger screens
- Mouse and keyboard controls
- Progress synchronization between mobile and PC
Clash Royale is usually praised for being one of the best games designed for touchscreen devices. It takes full advantage of basic gestures like drag and drop, making controls very intuitive and frictionless.
Porting this experience to a PC with mouse and keyboard is arguably not a big advantage, that switch might be more appealing for other games.
- SML Notes: That said, some players do find the keyboard binding to be helpful. This post was written by Alpe, and our opinions differ here. I have enjoyed using the Wacom tablet and hardware controls to place troops, and its precision level is higher than a touchscreen device, especially if you own a tiny phone and have big hands.
Progress synchronization is also not a relevant feature due to how Clash Royale progress is saved: through Supercell ID. Players are already used to full sync across devices and platforms.
Ultimately we can distinguish two main areas in which this could be meaningful:
- Introducing Clash Royale to PC gamers who don't usually play on mobile devices
- Providing a simple tool for streamers who want to broadcast Clash Royale. If you don't need to interact too much with the game, having a media source that comes directly from the PC could make things easier for some players, and mostly casters.
Google Play Games vs emulators
The last topic worth addressing is: how is this different from an emulator?
The Clash Royale Terms of Service state the following:
You agree that you will not, under any circumstances use or take part (directly or indirectly) in the use of cheats, exploits, automation software, emulators, bots, hacks, mods or any unauthorized third-party software designed to modify or interfere with the Service, any Supercell game or any Supercell game experience.
For a long time it has been discussed what this actually involves for players. There are still no clear and final answers, but the most comprehensive clarification came from Darian (Clash of Clans staff) a few years ago: emulators are not supported by Supercell. This basically means that Supercell games are designed to work on mobile devices, and you should only expect them to work properly there; if you have any issues as an emulator user, don't count on Supercell to provide support.
This collaboration with Google Play Games changes this restriction, providing a simple and official way for players who want to enjoy Clash Royale on PC.
System requirements to use Google Play Games
Google Play Games is only available for Windows devices that meet the following minimum requirements:
- Windows 10 (v2004)
- Solid State Drive (SSD) with 10 GB of available storage space
- IntelⓇ UHD Graphics 630 GPU or comparable
- 4 CPU physical cores (some games require an Intel CPU)
- 8 GB of RAM
- Windows admin account
- Hardware virtualization must be turned on
More information is available here
Google Play Games is still a beta service, but it is already available in more than 100 regions. You can find the full list here.
On the Clash Royale side, the game will first be available in Canada, Chile and Singapore. A few days or weeks later, it should become available in the remaining regions.
Other popular game releases in the Google Play Games service have been paired with free credits towards your first purchase, so keep an eye on the official website and there might be an interesting discount. Remember to use code ROYALEAPI in the shop before you do!
How to download Google Play Games for PC
The best way to download and install this game platform is through the official website.